Monday, January 14, 2008

A First For Everything.....




I went out at sunrise yesterday because everything was heavily frosted so I figured I'd get some nice landscape photos. Instead I photographed these otters, it was a first for me, it's the first time I've ever seen wild otters in Maine and obviously they are the first photographs I've ever taken of an otter. There were three in all and in the first photo you can see two of them but when I got closer two of them went under the ice but one was kind of curious as you can see in the second photo, I thought he was going to walk right over and check me out, instead he went under the ice too. I was waiting for him to come back up when I heard a crunching sound behind me. The third photograph is what I saw when I turned around, it was crunching on the ice to make the hole bigger so it could check me out; I'd say it was less than ten feet away. It went under a few times and came back up and it seemed it wanted to come out of the hole but it wouldn't fit so it ended up disapearing and I'm sure it joined its two buddies and went up river. Before they left it was fun watching them slip under the ice and come back up with fish and have breakfast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your otter photos are fantastic. Last week I was surprised to see some ripples in the farmer's pond in our front yard. With camera in hand I walked the 100 feet to the pond and there were 4 otters frolicing in the morning sun. I am wondering how unusual it is to see such a sight.

Robin Robinson said...

Well, lo and behold! I saw an otter today here in Phippsburg, Maine, my first. I couldn't stop for photos and so will be going back - stalking the shot! In the mean time, I did a Google search of otters in Maine to begin research for an article which will hopefully, accompany photographs. And whose work appeared? Why yours, with FABULOUS otter shots! I'm jealous! Wish me luck out there are the wind chill is giving us less than 10 degrees, but I WILL be going back! Great shots, John.