Friday, July 11, 2008

More Clover...





Here are four more varieties of clover that I found growing by the side of the road. Of course everyone knows the red clover in the first photograph, that's the one where as kids we'd pluck the little blossoms and suck the nectar. The yellow one is the hop clover and the third one is the rabbitfoot clover, it's easy to see how it got its name with the furry blossoms. It's only about six inches tall and it grows right up against the pavement and unless you look real close you can't tell it's a flower because it isn't too colorful. The last picture is the sweet white clover and it's the sweetest smelling of all the clovers and it's also the tallest, it can be over four feet tall.

7 comments:

Eve said...

Beautiful John! I dont think I've see the last two!!! That will give me something to look for when out and about!

kjpweb said...

Great shots, John. Not only I enjoy these shots, I only get free ID Lessons along with it! Bravo!
Cheers, Klaus

The Birdlady said...

The rabbits foot variety is lovely - I'm afraid I miss a lot of wild flowers, because I'm always looking up for birds..so you
re showing them to me up close - thanks!

Mary said...

Wow! Is that last one a clover?? Never seen it that I know of. I never see yellow clover, either. Those are just wonderful as a group with all the different colors. I love that fuzzy one, too!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Gorgeous pictures, John, both here and in your previous posts. I'm trying to catch up slowly, but it will take me some time to get back into a routine while I'm doing that. Thank you so much for visiting my blog while I was sick. It really cheered me up.

Louise said...

Excellent pictures! Now if I could remember whose blog I was at that was wondering about whether or not it was clover in their pictures....

Tom Arbour said...

John- I love your bokeh- smooth as buttah. I'm finally be coming to the Oxford Hills in about a month- It has been too long(since January!), it is hard for me to really believe that there isn't snow there anymore, but your pictures are starting to re-train my brain so that it knows what to expect. Thank you.

Tom