Monday, April 7, 2008

Photos From a Kayak Week....


All this week I've decided to post photos taken from the kayak. For a few years I used the Sigma 135-400mm lens; on the 20D and 40D the focal length is equal to 216-640mm. Last year I upgraded to the Canon 100-400mm IS "L" lens. This is a great lens for kayaking because of the IS or Image Stabilization, there is no way to set up a tripod in your kayak. I purchased my 40D last fall so kayaking was over with for the season so I'm looking forward to using it this year. While I'm paddling I keep the lens between my legs in a waterproof bag, most of the time wildlife you see is off in the distance so it gives you time to get the camera out and get ready to snap some pictures.

8 comments:

Stacey Olson said...

John, great photo and info. I had no Idea that the canon cameras (D4 ect) would give different magnification power to your lenses (am I understanding this correctly?) That is good to know, because I have been considering a teleconverter for my camera and lens, but maybe I don't really need one. Mike mentioned something about this being the case also... Thanks again

Eve said...

This is getting expensive John!! I have to get a kayak AND a new lens!!! Ha Ha!! Both would be well worth the $$$ I'm sure! (oh AND the waterproof bag!!!)
Can't wait to see all this weeks pics!!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Great photo, John. I like the information you gave, too. You're making me think of kayaks...oh man, my husband is going to kill me! $$$$ LOL ;)

Stacey Olson said...

John, thanks for the responce to my questions. That makes sence now. The sigma lens I am using now is a DG made just for digital, so it is a trur 50-500, I also think I would loose to much quailty in the photos, so will probably waite on a teleconverter until I get an IS lens.. Thanks for clearing things up for me..

Mary said...

Really lovely shot of the goose....the reflection and the water dripping off the beak are super!

virtual nexus said...

Perfect, and congrats on the 100 post mark.

The Birdlady said...

The goose photo is lovely - the water strem from its mouth is the perfect touch. The kayak is still way scary to me.

Kathie Brown said...

You are a brave soul, but I, too, took my new Nikon D80 out on the water last week. It was on a tour boat, however and all I had to do was sit and snap! Kayaking sounds like fun.