Thursday, April 10, 2008

Foggy Paddle...



I took these photos from my kayak on an extremely foggy morning. I didn't have my GPS with me at the time so I just kept the bright part of the sky to my back and headed across the river. The conditions were white out. When I finally made it across I was about three hundred yards down from where I thought I would end up. If I wouldn't have kept the bright part of the sky, or where the sun was coming up, to my back I probably would've just paddled around in circles. In conditions like this, even in a familiar location, it's a good idea to have a compass or GPS. What I like about the second photo is you can't tell where the water ends and the sky begins.

6 comments:

Eve said...

Beautiful and a little scary!! I'm starting to see a pattern here John! Batteries....GPS....I think you need to make a list of items not to leave home without!!!!
:-)

Stacey Olson said...

Fantastic. How peaceful!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Beautiful! I love when the horizon disappears like that.

Mary said...

That's kind of frightening, but you are obviously an accomplished kayaker who know what to do. The photos are great.

The Birdlady said...

The peacefulness just might aleviate some of my jitters, were I in a kayak. Those are lovely.

Kathie Brown said...

Nice, moody photos. Were you on the Androscoggin?